Monday, January 3, 2011

I Hate MTV

I remember watching MTV as a kid and loving it because they showed Michael Jackson videos. It didn't get much better than that.

That was another lifetime ago. I couldn't have more contempt for Music Television at the moment.

It's because of a special that recently aired on an on-going reality series...16 and Pregnant. They recently did a special, "No Easy Decision", in which they profiled a teenager who decided to have an abortion.

I didn't think I could hate a show anymore and then this happened. As if it isn't enough to give so much camera-time to these teenage girls, the MTV think-tank decided to dedicate a show for one of the "safest, most common medical procedures in the U.S." In case you were wondering, those were Dr. Drew Pinsky's words in quotes. Dr. Drew was the host of this "special". Great to have a doctor give such good advice isn't it?

Safe for whom, Dr. Pinsky? Safe for the babies that are dismembered, burned and sucked from the warmth of wombs in which they were forming due to the actions of two willing people? Safe for the mothers who now have to cope with the promise of a life never to be made known, whose bodies and minds now and forever bear the scars of a deadly choice? Safe for fathers who live with the regret of not providing the protection only they can give their children?

It's disgusting. Our culture has rebelled against a culture of life. We take the things of God and regard them less than the waste we flush down the toilet. We choose, instead, to believe the lies of the enemy who, for instance, makes girls and women believe that their nurturing, life-giving nature is something of a burden to be cast aside for more lofty goals/ambitions like a career or education. For men, it's that manliness is something evil and it's better for everyone if we're, well, more like a woman (go see a Tyler Perry movie if you don't believe me).

For my culture (Black men and women), it's the lie that we're owed something, that we're entitled to money and opportunity to balance the scales of hundreds of years of oppression. And somehow, this will finally right so many wrongs. And while so many in Black communities wait for this tipping of the scales, they continue to suffer at their own hands via rampant crime, drug abuse, single-parent families, low-graduation rates, high incarceration, disproportionate levels of unemployment and teenage pregnancy. Oh and all of this while the NAACP and race hustlers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton continue to line their pockets by filling itching ears with rhetoric that further entrenches this slave mentality. I just wish one time someone would ask Mr. Sharpton or Mr. Jackson how they feel about the fact that 40% of all abortions are on black babies when Blacks only make up 13% of the population. Maybe one of these days, I'll get my chance to ask.

In the meantime, I won't be watching MTV. Nothing worth watching really. They don't play Michael Jackson videos anymore anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, miss the "I want my MTV" days. It is amazing to me how they can even call themselves "music television" anymore. As for all this "reality TV," it just glorifies a behavior that turns the abnormal into the norm. We often worry about the political future of our nation, but the moral future looks even more grim.

    Great to see you post, by the way. I always love reading what you have to say. Maybe one day I'll get back into the swing of things myself :)

    ReplyDelete