Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sorry It's Been So Long

Okay first of all, let me apologize for taking so long to submit a post since my last - I think that was in early January. I've had a major life change - I was laid off from my job in mid-January. That has been quite a distraction to say the least. I've had my days but I firmly believe that the Lord has a purpose in all of this and He will see it through. I'm confident in Him and in Him alone to provide the next step. It doesn't mean I haven't been diligent or that I sit on my hands. I've hit the streets running and will continue to do so as long as this is my plight, or opportunity. I digress. :)

You may have noticed that I changed the title of this blog. "The Evans' World" lacked creativity and thought. Plus it was in my opinion a little stifling. I could do better...and I believe I did though some at first glance may think differently. "Random Alien Musings" hits on some things regarding how I see myself. I do tend to see myself as an alien. As a Christian, my home ultimately is in heaven with the Lord (IN the world but not OF the world). Being a black man with a white wife and "mixed" kids in Northwest Arkansas sometimes is interesting. It could be said that, although I've been here going on 15 years, it sometimes feels like I'd feel more at home somewhere else. And being here after growing up in Texas, considering that I don't do Hog calls like the rest of the state's residents, certainly makes for interesting conversations and comments since I consider myself a Texas fan and probably always will. Strangely enough, the deepest-seeded fervor I have for a sports team would be for the University of North Carolina Tarheels, whom I've followed since I was a boy growing up in Texas. My wife can barely stand to watch a game with me when they are playing. I morph into this out-of-control fanatic that can hardly control his emotions or flailing arms when engaged in watching them compete. In simplest terms, I'm that crazy, painted student section fan times 10 when I'm watching them. With those last few lines, I'm sure you see why "Random" and "Musings" are equally adequate descriptors of this blog as well.

There has been so much that's happened in the news since my last post that it's hard to focus on one particular topic. Well kind of. I keep going back to the report from the Congressional Budget Office I read regarding their projection of the deficit for the next 10 years. The CBO projects the President's budget will add $9.3 trillion to the deficit during that time span. I think it's a number so big that a lot of people don't even want to think about it or worse pretend that it's just a figment of their imagination and they can just wish it away. It's really alarming to me is that that's not as big of a story as it should be. Honestly, the fact that the stimulus legislation was virtually pushed through without being read or examined is alarming. We had the gov't outrage at the AIG bonuses paid out, which was absolutely ridiculous considering the stimulus legislation contained provisions allowing those very bonuses to be paid out in the first place. Then you have Treasury Secretary Geithner proposing that the gov't have the right to take over businesses that they believe are having an adverse affect on the economy. And there's also the proposal to nationalize health care. When has the government ever run anything well - they can't effectively run the Post Office and they want to run HEALTH CARE?! Our country is changing and not for the better. We better wake up because we just can't assume that our elected officials, including the President, have our best interests at heart.

Change we can believe in...yeah it's change alright. And believe it, it's coming.

K

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you back! Your new blog title is awesome. Secretly I've always thought you were a little different ;)

    I'll be praying for you and look forward to reading more of your musings!

    ReplyDelete